Secure Water Infrastructure
Our world’s water infrastructure is coming under increasing threat from foreign state actors as well as malicious actors seeking ransom or other financial gain. The implications can be catastrophic if control systems at water treatment plants are impacted and include tainted water, released sewage, limited water access, flooding, etc.
The two cybers attacks on the Israeli water treatment facilities in 2020 highlight that state actors increasingly view water infrastructure as a targeted attack surface. In this specific case, the attacks attempted to change the chlorine levels to cause mild poisoning to the local population.
The challenges of security in water facilities are significant and include:
- An increasing threat from foreign actors
- Growing regulatory requirements (e.g., AWWA)
- Distributed, multi-vendor control systems
- Challenging network architectures and varied access
- Continuous pressure on cost and resources
- Sensitive systems that require 5 9’s of uptime and limited windows for systems management
- Lack of knowledgeable resources to secure and maintain systems over time
Verve built the Verve Security Center and our services with direct customer feedback to address these challenges. The Verve Security Center provides turnkey security – from asset inventory through to vulnerability management, detection and incident response. Our services organization has deep experience supporting our IT and OT customers bring the best of both worlds together to secure these highly sensitive systems. tems.
Our utilities clients see us as a partner in their cyber security journey and we welcome their trust in us.